Wednesday, July 8, 2009

When All Else Fails, Get a (Second) Life!

I've been pondering this whole Second Life® (SL) thing for awhile now, and I think it sounds really cool! Nerdy, I know, but I'm at peace with and choose to celebrate my nerd self (/DorkOut)!

I'm fascinated that there is a virtual world in which people interact and live. They take college courses, hold real life(
RL)/first life (FL) business meetings and parties. There are museums (some from RL), art studios, concerts, seminars, etc. Some RL (FL) companies have SL presence. People shop, even; they buy (with SL's currency) things designed by others in the...erm...non-game platform. One can even purchase "land" or build an island (and said can have it's own rules, or charge leasing or property fees, etc.).

I appreciate that, although I have limits dictated by certain factors in my (first) life, there is a platform for my artistic expressions and possible educational
opportunities (taking courses/teaching), and the chance to advocate (in my case, I'm thinking autism and eco-friendly stuffs).

For my purposes (at least to start with), those features alone make the free account worth a try. I can learn, express, even hold "live"
performances of my music, comedic repertoire, poetry, writings, dance (well, I suppose I could pretend, as that would be part of the point of SL for some [I meant that as no intentional "dis" toward anyone reading this that is physically {or artistically} challenged--just laughing at my own dancing!]), etc.

Not that as an
ADHDer I will actually stick to this or accomplish all that, but...well, I'm going to sign onto the free account and see what happens! I'll let ya know!

UPDATE:

I got a second life, and my name is "h2 Blogger." That was actually tricky to accomplish. After downloading and logging on, I was essentially dropped off somewhere in Japan (well, there was Japanese being spoken and so many Japanese characters on...well, it looked like advertising [billboards and other signs].../shrug). I spent a bit of time attempting to change out of the....uhmm....mauve-with-white-polka-dots top, pants and short skirt, then altered my look to something more like the
RL/FL me. Well, I tried, at least (for a long time, actually--but, in the end, I also cheated myself of some of this extra weight...:-) ).

I gradually found my way to some Aussie island (naturally, right?), and even "touched" a very large, yellow dragonfly! I was bestowed an
Appeltini from the tiki bar and, later, a beer from a barrel cooler on a raft. The beer was weak, and the 'tini....was not looking quite right, so I put both in my bags and carried on with my vacation: relaxing on a comfy couch on a raft floating in a paradise of sorts.




Oh! Also, I
DANCED!

(Here's a call-out to my Oz mates!)

I don't think I'll be entering any dance contests in the near future....

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment